Saturday, July 27, 2013

A Website You Want to Know About.

I, as a bibliomaniac, have many weaknesses. Some examples:
  • Books signed by their authors.
  • Books from the original prints. 
  • Books that look well-loved: by me or someone else.
  • Books from the library.
  • Books that are old.
  • Books that are cheap.
  • Books with my name in them.
  • Books I received as gifts from special people.
  • Books with beautiful bindings.
  • Books printed in anthologies.
  • Books.
But no bibliomaniac weakness is as crippling as the complete loss of direction I associate with book withdrawal*. I've dealt with this in recent years by keeping a list of books I want to read, which I add to as interesting new books come to my attention. Ideally, every time I finish something really good I should be able to open that list and magically find another book that will satisfy me. Unfortunately, there are two problems with this method:
   First, my to-read list is constantly hovering around 200 books long and is often outdated (the books I added two years ago and haven't reached, for example, I might not be interested in anymore).
   Second, when I finish a great book from a genre that is relatively new to me (ex: The Night Circus) I sometimes want to read another book similar to it right afterwards (fantasy novel, dark book, romance). Finding these matches in a really unorganized, multi-page list of books is not an easy feat.

But never fear, because the Internet is here to help. Today this neat website was recommended to me that I hope will be able keep me updated with new books in the future: http://WhatShouldIReadNext.com/index.php.  Here's how it works.

1) Tell them a book you like:

2) Get recommendations for similar must-reads:


3) Click on the Info/Buy button next to a book that sounds interesting, and you'll be taken to the book's Amazon.com page, where you're given lots of options for how to access the book you chose. A user-friendly website design and customizable profile pages make it easy to use, too. Let me know how it works for you, and happy browsing!


*For the unaware, this is the empty, lonely feeling you are probably familiar with and get whenever you finish a wonderful book and don't have another book in which to immediately drown your sorrows.

Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...