Friday, November 8, 2013

Doing the Truth in Love: Conversations about God, Relationships, and Service


My Rating: 

Method of Reading: Borrowed paperback book (Thanks, Andrew!), 165 pages. I did buy my own copy afterward though--it was worth it.
Dates of Reading: September 10, 2013-October 29, 2013
Author: Fr. Michael J. Himes, CSC (and friends)
Publication Year: 1995
Recommended to: Christians, especially Notre Dame/Boston College students. I'm sure anybody could learn from this, though.
Quotes: A gazoodle. Literally, nothing is not quote-worthy here.
Movie: No.

Wikipedia Link: N/A
Link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/407417.Doing_the_Truth_in_Love

My View: This book has a lot of incredibly meaningful stuff in it. I do not feel equal to the task of interpreting it all, as I will not do it justice. I am beginning to incorporate it into my life though, slowly. It takes a while to really take in. Some parts of this, of course, can be distilled down and I could tell you what it is about, but I think that the full-on experience everyone deserves is by reading it cover to cover themselves or doing it in a large discussion format with friends. I was blown away by the sophistication of the advice and language in this book, and especially by Fr. Himes's perfect blending of the gentle and the firm in Christian teaching. As a theology student, I found this an academically groundbreaking experience. As a Christian, I found it spiritually fulfilling. As a person, I found it intriguing. As a student, I found it a helpful guide. As a friend/daughter/sister, I found it encouraging. Very many good things to say about this book, so many that my notes while I read it were flying everywhere (I had to get my own copy to reread so I can mark it up however I want). Something I would love to discuss with anyone who reads it.

Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Works Cited:
  • "Doing the Truth in Love: Conversations about God, Relationships and Service [NOOK Book]." Barnes & Noble. Barnesandnoble.com LLC, n.d. Web. 22 Oct. 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...