Thursday, May 15, 2014

The Giver

My Rating: 

Method of Reading: Online ebook, estimated 180 pages

Dates of Reading: May 14, 2014
Author: Lois Lowry
Publication Year: 1993
Recommended to: Readers 7th grade and up.
Quotes: 
Movie: Yes'm. That and the tide of dystopian youth novels sweeping the literary world lately are what brought me back to this.

Wikipedia Link: 
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giver
Link: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3636.The_Giver

My View: Impactful even the second time around. The first time I read this, I was in the only 7th grade Language Arts class that wasn't reading The Giver. I was unable to accept that. So I waited for a day when I had unusually little homework and snuck the book out of my twin's backpack. I read it quickly that evening. Interestingly, this time I had just finished finals and needed somewhere to send excess academic energy and then I decided to read this in an evening again. Again, very powerful, very thought provoking, beautiful in its simplicity. Sometimes children's books are more meaningful than that we give them credit for. Very glad that, in my research for this article, I uncovered that this is part of a "quartet." So I shall be reading those soon…


Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliography:
"The Giver." Goodreads. Goodreads Inc, n.d. Web. 15 May 2014.
"The Giver." NPR. N.p., n.d. Web. 15 May 2014.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...