Friday, June 7, 2013

Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything Across Italy, India, and Indonesia

Rating: 

Method of Reading: Kindle, 352 pages in hardcover
Dates of Reading: April 8, 2011-April 12, 2011
Author: Elizabeth Gilbert
Publication Year: 2006
Recommended To: Travel-types, those who feel lost, and anyone who needs some light entertainment.
Quotes: 
   "You gotta stop wearing your wishbone where your backbone oughtta be"
Movie: Yessir, fairly recently. I didn't see it but I read the book because the commercials looked good.

Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eat_pray_love
Link: http://www.elizabethgilbert.com/eatpraylove.htm

My View: Although slightly over-written and occasionally foul-mouthed, this book was headed for a solid 5-star rating until the "Love" portion came around and Gilbert randomly became excessively risqué and simultaneously boring (how do you even combine those things?). I really enjoyed "Eat" and "Pray," and even the first half of "Love." Overall, it has some good, thought-out content and you do feel like Liz's friend, confidante, and mentor throughout the read. You can sense her growth of confidence and comfort, even if I don't always like how she uses it. Generally, her over-use of "writers-only" language is compensated for by her well-meant humor.
   I think too many women use this as a self-help guide, but I will, with reserve, appreciate this for what it is--a memoir.


Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Gilbert. Eat, Pray, Love: One Woman's Search for Everything across Italy, India, and Indonesia. New York: Viking, 2006. Electronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...