Friday, June 7, 2013

Jane Eyre

Rating: 

Method of Reading: Kindle, 352 pages in paperback
Dates of Reading: June 8, 2011-July 2, 2011
Author: "Currer Bell" (Charlotte Brontë)
Publication Year: 1847
Recommended To: Pride and Prejudice fans may like it. It's basically another classic women's novel, but it isn't really close enough to any other books to make direct comparisons in content or fandoms.
Quotes: 
   "Conventionality is not morality. Self-righteousness is not religious."
   "'I have an inward treasure born with me, which can keep me alive if all extraneous delights should be withheld, or offered only at a price I cannot afford to give.'"
   "Laws and principles are not for the times when there is no temptation: they are for such moments as this, when body and soul rise in mutiny against their rigour, stringent are they; inviolate they shall be. If at my individual convenience I might break them, what would be their worth?"
   "'To the end of turning to profit the talents which God has committed to your keeping: and of which He will surely one day demand a strict account.'"
   "'I am a servant of the infallible Master. I am not going out under human guidance, subject to the defective laws and erring control of my feeble fellow-worms: my kind, my lawgiver, my captain, is the All-perfect. It seems strange to me that all round me do not burn to enlist under the same banner.'"
   "I'll thank my Maker, that, in the midst of judgement, He has remembered mercy.'"
Movie: Ohhhh yeah. Of course there is!

Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Eyre
Link: http://www.sparknotes.com/lit/janeeyre/

My View: A really good, imaginative book. It feels like many novels in a series wrapped up into one, but I think that having it as a part of one book makes it more enjoyable, as I liked reading it straight through. Jane is a strange, surprisingly relatable character and transcends the time gap between her day and the present. Charlotte Brontë has a warm and comfortable writing style, and I hope to read more of her work in the future. This book is always engaging, despite its frequent lapses in action, and I wish I could have more Jane!


Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Brontë, Charlotte. Jane Eyre. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Electronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...