Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Hunger Games

Rating: 

Method of Reading: Public library hardcover novel, 374 pages
Dates of Reading: December 18, 2010-December 21, 2010
Author: Suzanne Collins
Publication Year: 2008
Recommended To: It's an excellent book for girls and (I believe) boys, above age 12. But my grandma tried buying it for my 9-year-old cousin, and I had her return it. It is NOT right for someone that young. Adults will like it, too.
Quotes: 
   "'You know, you're kind of squeamish for such a lethal person'" (258).
Movie: Yeahhhh. And pretty good.

Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunger_Games
Link: http://www.suzannecollinsbooks.com/the_hunger_games_69765.htm

My View: This was a really imaginative (and dark) idea for a novel, but it worked really well. The terror of this imagined world, and the faint reminders of how close we come to atrocity in our own lives, are gripping and I loved reading Katniss's restrainedly horrified point of view. The people in her world are no different than the people we have nowadays, but this book shows you how to deal... And no, I don't mean kill the people who get in your way. I mean Katniss recognizes that some people are bad, some are different, and some are really great people who got caught in a mixed-up world. She just deals with all that instead of complaining about it all the time. The plot was wonderfully laid out so you never have to hate the girl in the arena, and it makes you really care about the characters in a way you never thought you could about the apparently doomed. Plus, Katniss's end-all "human moment" makes you really want to read Catching Fire and Mockingjay.


Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Collins, Suzanne. The Hunger Games. New York: Scholastic, 2008. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...