Tuesday, June 4, 2013

My Name is Asher Lev

Rating: 

Method of Reading: Personally owned paperback novel, 269 pages
Dates of Reading: November 2, 2010-December 7, 2010
Author: Chaim Potok
Publication Year: 1972
Recommended To: Anybody, especially high schoolers who have just read Portrait and need to re-gain faith in art.
Quotes:
   "'Everybody is listening,' she said. 'There would be no problem if no one were listening to you, Asher'" (111).
   "'One man is not better than another because he is a lawyer and the other is a painter. A life is measured by how it is lived for the sake of Heaven'" (192).
   "'I don't think I want to free myself that way'" (203).
   "I could not be a wh*re to my own existence" (328).
   And many, many others.
Movie: No... :/

Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Name_is_Asher_Lev
Link: http://potok.lasierra.edu/Potok.asher.html

My View: Uh-maze-ing. This is one of my new favorites. It is gripping, shows true passion and feels very real but refined/edited appropriately. Insightful and enlightening, I couldn't put it down and I was annotating constantly as themes, motifs, and interesting analytic and character questions piled on top of each other.

Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Potok, Chaim. My Name Is Asher Lev. New York: Knopf, 1972. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...