Thursday, June 6, 2013

The History of England: From the Reign of Henry the 4th to the Death of Charles the 1st; By a Partial, Prejudiced, and Ignorant Historian.

Rating: 
Method of Reading: Kindle - part of Love and Freindship. Again, it's difficult to tell how many pages it is.
Dates of Reading: December 15, 2010-December 15, 2010
Author: Jane Austen
Publication Year: Again, tough to say, but definitely after Austen's death.
Recommended To: Austenites.
Quotes:
   "Many were the people who fell martyrs to the protestant Religion during her reign; I suppose not fewer than a dozen."
   "As I am myself partial to the catholic religion, it is with infinite regret that I am obliged to blame the Behaviour of any Member of it: yet Truth being I think very excusable in an Historian, I am necessitated to say that in this reign the roman Catholics of England did not behave like Gentlemen to the protestants."
Movie: No, but it could make a funny high school Telecom short.

Wikipedia Link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_History_of_England_(Jane_Austen)
Link: http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/ttp/austen/accessible/introduction.html

My View: I didn't know enough English history when I read this to truly appreciate the whole book, but its concept is hilarious, and even without a thorough knowledge of the subject it was funny. A great parody of history textbooks and a good practice piece.


Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Austen, Jane. The History of England: From the Reign of Henry the 4th to the Death of Charles the 1st. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Electronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...