Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Girl With a Pearl Earring

JJJ
My View:   Since it had an undefined start and end, odd characters and character relationships, and a heroine whose mentality can never be pinned down, it's tough to say why this book is so loved. But pulling that story out of Vermeer's famed painting is quite amazing, and everything Chevalier says about Griet and how she came to pose for that portrait fits perfectly. Although her character is almost never straightforwardly revealed, you come to feel like you really know her by the end of the story. A good summer read and worth a re-read for the beach one summer. I often wonder though, about what the real girl's story was. I guess we'll never know, but I certainly hope Chevalier didn't write anything the real girl wouldn't have liked. :o

    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Public Library hardcover novel, 233 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    July 18, 2010-July 19, 2010
    Author:
    Tracy Chevalier
    Publication Year:
    1999
    Recommended To:
    Reader girls who enjoy history. Ages 15+.
    Quotes:

    Movie?
    Yep, very famous. But I've never seen it. When Dad saw me carrying the book, though, he said "Oh, like the movie?"
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Chevalier, Tracy. Girl with the Pearl Earring. New York: Plume, 1999. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...