Tuesday, August 14, 2012

The Off Season

JJJJ
My View:   It was okay. A strange follow-up for a book like Dairy Queen, as the writing seemed somehow altered. The book mostly read as a family drama, about the zillions of unconnected but mildly interesting problems in D.J.'s life, where the writer never just wants to keep things straightforward and meaningful. D.J. herself has nearly no promise as a heroine. Even as she narrates she is a flat and seemingly stupid and unperceptive character. In the first book, she was all proud of rebelling against the social and personal confines she was forced into, which she always likened to the dull life of a cow. In this novel, there is no depth to her thoughts and she narrates in a "third person" style most of the time. There were times when I had to force myself to keep reading, drag myself out of the doldrums. Somehow, I am still looking forward to the trilogy's third book. I'm not sure I'll ever get the gumption to read it, though.

Wikipedia Link: N/A
    General Information:
    Method of Reading
    Public Library hardcover novel, 277 pages
    Dates of Reading
    March 25, 2010-March 26, 2010
    Author
    Catherine Gilbert Murdock
    Publication Year
    2007
    Recommended To:
    Anyone who liked Dairy Queen enough to give Murdock another shot.
    Quotes:

    Movie?
    Would probably be a lame movie. 
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac


Bibliographic info:
  • McClung, Elizabeth. "Book Reviews Shaking You Awake: The Off Season, Harmony and Chi." Screw Bronze. N.p., 22 Aug. 2010. Web. 28 July 2013.
  • Murdock, Catherine Gilbert. The Off Season. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2010. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...