Wednesday, August 15, 2012

This World We Live In

JJJ
My View:   So I walked away from this book really hating several characters, or just not agreeing with their choices, but it was still compelling. I think the series was a pretty realistic description of what a family like this would do after this kind of catastrophe, even if I dislike that many of them made bad decisions (but I think S.B.P. knew you'd hate some of them… and only did it to make them a little more interesting). It was fun and new seeing two stand-alone characters, who you came to understand as individuals for over 300 pages each in their own separate books, come together. However, I sort of wanted back into Alex's head for a while, and then I got greedy and wanted everyone's personal descriptions of the events around them because I had a weird sense of responsibility to understand them all. Nevertheless, the Romeo and Juliet plight was entertaining, and I enjoyed that this book changed from the last two books' goal of finding a way to survive. This was about living because you've survived. All of the characters have made it so far, and they now have to look around and say, "I'm surviving. But where's my life?" They get really Auntie-Mame-LIVE about the survival. This book is also beautifully written, and I can't remember if Alex's narrator was this good or if it's just Miranda, but either way, it had some really beautiful prose, and gripped me as these humans realize they have lives and sometimes sink back to their sub-human ways of survival. The holiest battles against the unmoving moon were waged in Howell and NYC, and I hated seeing the sites abandoned in the last pages.

Wikipedia Link: N/A
    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Kindle, 256 pages in hardcover
    Dates of Reading:
    December 27, 2010-December 28, 2010
    Page Count:
    256 in hardcover
    Author:
    Susan Beth Pfeffer
    Publication Year:
    2010
    Recommended To:
    Any girls (possibly not boys) who liked both of the originals.
    Quotes:
    "...end of the school year. Nothing good happened to Romeo or Juliet."

    "'I miss home,' he said. 'And the feeling you got in a library carrel, like nothing in the world mattered except the book you were reading.'"
    Movie?
    If the first two go well, heck yes.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Pfeffer, Susan Beth. This World We Live In. Orlando: Harcourt, 2010. Electronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...