Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Rules of the Road

JJJJJ
My View:   This novel was very promising since it is by the same author as Hope Was Here and it did not disappoint. I liked it very much. The enjoyment of this book lives up to Joan Bauer's excellent reputation. I am looking forward to reading through more of Jenna's fantastically truth-inspired life. I feel like she is a real girl with a real life, living only a few miles away (I'm from near Chicago), and that's an amazing tribute to Bauer's writing. It's one of those legendary must-read girl books that changes you in the most subtle of ways. It's like The Secret Life of Bees… it should have a place on every girl's bookshelf.

Wikipedia Link: N/A
    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Public Library hardcover novel, 243 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    June 26, 2009-June 27, 2009
    Author:
    Joan Bauer
    Publication Year:
    1998
    Recommended To:
    I'd recommend this to girls from 6th to 11th grade. It's awesome for anyone who wants a subtly moving book that will really make you think and love the characters.
    Quotes:
    "Some people just naturally make you glad to be alive" (158).

    "'I'm simply being practical, Harry.'
       'Shoot, Maddy, any fool can be practical. You want to start exercising your brain capacity, find some faith and hold onto that" (184).

    "Never miss a good opportunity to shut up" (201).

    "Oh, we'll see each other again, honey. I'm not through changing your life yet" (224).
    Movie?
    I think there's some potential behind the story, although the plot may be difficult to keep interesting for a full-length movie. I suppose the twisting of the "shoe world" into the many problems in Jenna's world could create an interesting plot.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac


Bibliographic info:
  • Bauer, Joan. Rules of the Road. New York: G.P. Putnam's Sons, 1998. Print.
  • "Rules of the Road Summary and Study Guides." Free Book Notes. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...