Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hope Was Here

JJJJJ
My View:   An excellent book! I've read it several times, but I never get bored reading it. The characters are realistic and inspirational. Hope is a wonderful character with a great message, and it isn't the sappy soap opera of a book that the cover suggests. I'm glad I found Joan Bauer, because her style really makes the book shine, and I plan on reading more of her writing. Her brief, honest style which elaborates where necessary but leaves a lot to the imagination is charming, funny, and entertaining. The book really pulls you in until you feel like a part of all of the action; emotionally attached to G.T.'s campaign and the town of Mulhoney. A story about exploring new places, learning new things, being dedicated, adjusting to change, holding onto hope, and believing in the power of a good man. Thoughtful and full of life lessons about the things we often take for granted. The book teaches that you can learn and grow from everything. I re-read it during a cancer battle one of my close family members was going through. It helped me face the misery of the situation and learn from it. This is a really powerful and simple book, with winning characters and a strong sense of direction. One of my Top Tens.

    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Personally owned paperback novel, 186 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    May 18, 2009-May 24, 2009
    Author:
    Joan Bauer
    Publication Year:
    2000
    Recommended To:
    Girls in 7th to 10th grade. It's a fairly easy read that any 5th grader can understand. But it's got some really deep stuff, too, that won't fully affect you until you're a little older. Reading it a few times over brings out these types of highlights, too. But after 10th grade, you may not fall in love with it the way younger girls will.
    Quotes:
    "Whatever happens, girl-- you remember the power of the light" (83).

    "You think that all teenagers care about are musicians and movie stars?
    …
    We'll blow your socks off" (122).
    Movie?
    Not yet. Maybe someday-- there could be some potential, but I'm really happy nobody's touched it yet.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac


Bibliographic info:
  • Bauer, Joan. Hope Was Here. New York, NY: Putnam, 2000. Print.
  • "Hope Was Here: Our Conversation with the State of Wisconsin." Help Readers Love Reading. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...