Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Hope Was Here

JJJJJ
My View:   An excellent book! I've read it several times, but I never get bored reading it. The characters are realistic and inspirational. Hope is a wonderful character with a great message, and it isn't the sappy soap opera of a book that the cover suggests. I'm glad I found Joan Bauer, because her style really makes the book shine, and I plan on reading more of her writing. Her brief, honest style which elaborates where necessary but leaves a lot to the imagination is charming, funny, and entertaining. The book really pulls you in until you feel like a part of all of the action; emotionally attached to G.T.'s campaign and the town of Mulhoney. A story about exploring new places, learning new things, being dedicated, adjusting to change, holding onto hope, and believing in the power of a good man. Thoughtful and full of life lessons about the things we often take for granted. The book teaches that you can learn and grow from everything. I re-read it during a cancer battle one of my close family members was going through. It helped me face the misery of the situation and learn from it. This is a really powerful and simple book, with winning characters and a strong sense of direction. One of my Top Tens.

    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Personally owned paperback novel, 186 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    May 18, 2009-May 24, 2009
    Author:
    Joan Bauer
    Publication Year:
    2000
    Recommended To:
    Girls in 7th to 10th grade. It's a fairly easy read that any 5th grader can understand. But it's got some really deep stuff, too, that won't fully affect you until you're a little older. Reading it a few times over brings out these types of highlights, too. But after 10th grade, you may not fall in love with it the way younger girls will.
    Quotes:
    "Whatever happens, girl-- you remember the power of the light" (83).

    "You think that all teenagers care about are musicians and movie stars?

    We'll blow your socks off" (122).
    Movie?
    Not yet. Maybe someday-- there could be some potential, but I'm really happy nobody's touched it yet.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac


Bibliographic info:
  • Bauer, Joan. Hope Was Here. New York, NY: Putnam, 2000. Print.
  • "Hope Was Here: Our Conversation with the State of Wisconsin." Help Readers Love Reading. N.p., n.d. Web. 28 July 2013.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...