Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Catcher in the Rye

JJJJJ
My View:   I really liked it. Everyone says it's the best book you read in our school's sophomore English class, and they were totally right. I was a tiny bit disappointed by the ending, but only because it was brief. Holden is entertaining and real, and I loved listening to someone who doesn't censor their thoughts (*cough* EVER). Really good. Definitely re-readable.
    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Personally owned paperback novel, 214 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    April 21, 2010-May 5, 2010
    Author:
    J.D. Salinger
    Publication Year:
    1945
    Recommended To:
    Sophomore English students at my school have to read it, but it's unfortunately banned in many schools. If you can, get your hands on a copy from eighth grade up. Definitely a great book.
    Quotes:

    Movie?
    No. Salinger made sure that no movie versions could be made (at least until the novel becomes public domain. It was in his will and everything.). But my English teacher told us that tons of actors and directors and things would kill to play Holden or write and direct the movie (I believe it). Personally, I think it's pretty cool that the book talks about how movies are cheap "phonies" and reading is cool, so Salinger never sold out. I originally hoped the movie would never be made, although my teacher predicted that one would come out within our class's lifetimes, because it will become public domain by the time we're middle-aged. Since then, I've changed my mind a little on whether a book is really better without a movie, but still don't think this book begs for a movie. It's only entertaining because of Holden's narration and voice.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Salinger, J.D. The Catcher in the Rye. Boston: Little, Brown, 1951. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...