Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

JJJJJ
My View:   The end of this books when SNPKLSDMBLDR (spotted on a foreign license plate by a Muggle-Netter... I highly recommend checking them out at www.mugglenet.com) makes me cry whenever I read it. Granted, this originally happened because I read all of the books in just two weeks the first time I read any of them. That meant that by the time I reached Year 6 I was unhealthily invested in these characters. But the death scene is hauntingly beautiful in its complexity and I still shed a few tears with each re-read. The tragic ending, along with great romance moments and amazing friendships, as well as evil seeping into Hogwarts, as dormant evil awakens (*cough* SNAPE *cough* DRACO *cough*) make this the most intense of the books so far. Ginny makes her grandest entrance into the novels yet, and we meet Lavender Brown in more… er… detail. Speaking of her, there are two Harry Potter scenes that I hate in the movie because I pictured them so clearly in the book and the movie did it wrong. Both moments are in this book. The second, and less important, one is when Harry and Dumbledore are in Tom Riddle's charmed cave and are crossing the lake. But the first, and my favorite image from this series, is this...
    Hermione sadly sitting on a desk, a couple of conspicuous tears dotting her puffy-hair-framed cheeks, a halo of tiny bluebirds fluttering around above her. Her wand directs their path, but she barely attends to them. Enter Harry with clear green eyes, searching for her. They talk, but no words are needed. And then that ditz Lavender comes in, Ron in tow, and kills it.
I suppose that's the part that really gets at me--the relatable feeling of seeing the guy you "don't like" walk off with a girl you hate. Although it's very likely that you didn't hate her until she got him, as seems to be the case with these two ladies. These intensely emotional scenes are threaded into the book touchingly. I really feel they added to the action by giving every battle against Voldemort more bite. The Horcruxes, as well as Voldemort's plot for immortality, are revealed in this novel which spurs Harry into his biggest journey in Deathly Hallows, with only Ron and Hermione by his side. Good-bye Hogwarts.

    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Personally owned paperback book, 652 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    August 14, 2009-August 18, 2009
    Author:
    J.K. Rowling
    Publication Year:
    2005
    Recommended To:
    Anyone who liked Years 1, 2, 3, 4, and 5 and is ready for random teenage crushes and a lot of crying (by the characters and by the readers).
    Quotes:
    See Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
    Movie?
    It came out at the time I wrote this review and it's what made me decide to re-read the Potter series! It was supposed to come out in fall of 2008, but WB decided to push it back to a summer release date that might bring in lots of box office cash. Summit's Twilight jumped into it's fall slot instead of waiting for the originally planned winter release. Lots of small changes were made, but I wasn't too happy with them. (PS: On the "lots of box office cash" note, G-Force, a movie about FBI-trained guinea pigs, outsold HP during the first weekend they were in theaters together. Nice try, WB.) It went back to HP's original PG ratings….
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Rowling, J. K., and Mary GrandPré. Harry Potter and the Half-Blodd Prince. New York: A.A. Levine, 2005. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...