Wednesday, August 15, 2012

The Blind Side

JJJJJ
My View:   Loved the book! Well-told in a humorous, fun way that Radioactive Boyscout and Havana Dreams found it impossible to achieve. Instead of standing on the sidelines of the game, Lewis gets into every detail of every personality who ever dealt with Michael Oher. His football discussions are alive and so easy to understand that even I didn't get lost... and when I read this I was absolutely football-illiterate (I have a brother who, bless him, tried teaching me the basics of the game a million times. No luck. I now attend a big football college, so I'm getting better! But I still mostly cheer when others cheer, boo when they boo, etc.). A wonderful book about an amazing family with an amazing son. Definitely worth a re-read. I liked it just as much as the movie, although the book shows the whole scope of Michael's successes and losses, instead of only the glory of his relationship to his "Mama," Leigh Anne Tuohy.
    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Public Library hardcover novel, 299 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    July 13, 2010-July 18, 2010
    Author:
    Michael Lewis
    Publication Year:
    2010
    Recommended To:
    Sports fans and anyone who enjoyed the movie (although grades 9+ may be best).
    Quotes:
    "He expected more of himself on the field than a coach would dare to ask of a player" (16).

    "'God gives people money to see how you're going to handle it,' [Leigh Anne] said. And she intended to prove she knew how to handle it" (59).

    "[Sean's] arms were extended in a way that said−Behold! Do you not see the million-dollar house gorgeously appointed with hundreds of thousands of dollars in furnishings? Did you somehow miss the five cars in the driveway? The BMW? Do I need to call my pilots and order Air Taco to buzz NCAA headquarters?" (199).
    Movie?
    Of course! I saw it before I read the book, not expecting to like it (as I do not like sports or dramas). But I loved it! I majorly recommend seeing the movie.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Lewis, Michael. The Blind Side: Evolution of a Game. New York: W.W. Norton, 2006. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...