Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

JJJJJ
My View:   I know I'll eventually fangirl out at you, so maybe this should be said upfront: I like Harry Potter. This first book is totally simplistic but it is exhilarating. It draws you in and is character-driven from the get-go. The characters involved are put in some very bizarre situations to be sure, and they can't control everything around them. However, there is a strong emphasis on choosing one's actions wisely because what you do defines you and creates your world. I think that is the real basis of a character-driven story: one where your people care about the future and consider how their choices may affect the future. Potter & Co. definitely take responsibility for the (wizard-world-encompassing) repercussions of their actions! The problems the trio face seem realistic, and JK Rowling paints a wonderful new world for readers. My only complaint? Neville always seems like a tack-on to "the trio" in these early books. Ron, Hermione, and Harry are not established as a concrete bloc of best friends in this book because of Neville's huge role. Foreshadowing for his later importance? We'll have to wait and see. I wish I could write more about this fantastic first novel in this epic series, but I need to go start the next book! Now entering the Chamber of Secrets….

    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Personally owned paperback novel, 309 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    July 13, 2009-July 16, 2009
    Author:
    J.K. Rowling
    Publication Year:
    1998
    Recommended To:
    Anyone who wants something decent to read. This book is superb, and I know of 7-year-olds who read it. When I say "read," I do mean "read," as in, they understand the words. But for a prime experience don't read it until late elementary school. Plus there are some good things like this: http://tinyurl.com/q62zpp4
    Quotes:
    Harry Potter always has some great lines. But I'm not going to write them here. You need to read the books to get the good ones. (And if you started at Half-Blood Prince, hehe.)
    Movie?
    There is a movie (released in the U.S. on November 14, 2001), and I've seen it (a long time ago). It's fine. Some of the people who read the books really love the movies, but I prefer not to change my experience by seeing someone else play with it. But as far as the movie versions go, I really like this one.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac


Bibliographic info:
  • Kibuishi, Kazu. "Scholastic Unveils First of Seven New Covers for the Harry Potter Books in Celebration of the 15th Anniversary of Harry Potter." Media Room. Scholastic, 13 Feb. 2013. Web. 28 July 2013.
  • Rowling, J. K., and Mary GrandPré. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. New York: A.A. Levine, 1998. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...