Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows

JJJJJ
My View:   We've left the classroom, so leave the kids--Harry Potter is officially not a children's book right now! I've gotta admit… I teared up a bit in this one. Hallows vs. Horcruxes, and Dumbledore and Snape's true allegiances are the focus of this, the final book in the series. I must say here and now, that this series had to end. Somewhere. And this book was a perfect way to end it. The first half is pretty slow, like many of the other books (basically, when the book was split in half for the movies, the first half became Harry Potter Fighting in the Woods with Hermione and Ron and the second became Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows). But it sums up the story well. Unfortunately, although everyone gets to be all happy and the right couples all end up together, the "good guys" sustain many losses. (*sniffle, sniffle* Poor Fred.) The writing and explanations get rocky on JK's part toward the end (I'm sorry, Jo. Really, it's kind of true, but I understand that, as a phenomenal author, you've had all of this abstract and confusing stuff planned out probably since day one. All of this makes sense somewhere, I just didn't catch it all here. But that just means I get to continue thinking about your world until I understand!), but the epilogue is nicely written and wonderfully cleans up the series. In short: yay Harry.
    General Information:
    Method of Reading:
    Personally owned hardcover book, 759 pages
    Dates of Reading:
    August 18, 2009-August 21, 2009
    Author:
    J.K. Rowling
    Publication Year:
    2007
    Recommended To:
    People who liked Years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6. But be warned: This IS NOT a children's book. The Harry Potter series is usually classified as children's fantasy, but this one does not fit that rating. I'd wait until you're at least a "second year" to read this one.
    Quotes:
    See Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
    Movie?
    It was Warner Brother-ed, two movies because it's so long. Very phenomenal (especially the second)! I'd say these were the best of the Potter films, as they should be.
Always,
Your Bibliomaniac

Bibliographic info:
Rowling, J. K., and Mary GrandPré. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. New York: A.A. Levine, 2007. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You know I love hearing from you so drop me a line...